AN OLIVE ODYSSEY and VILLAGE EXPERIENCE
11th - 14th January 2013
• Pick olives and press your own olive oil
• Cooking lessons from Michelin star chef
• Join the annual animal festival of San Antonio
• Walk through the island´s oldest olive groves
579 euros per couple; 400 euros individual*
Join us for a weekend of winter sunshine exploring the olive groves and producing the golden juice, the “oli d’oliva verge”, that plays such an important part in Mallorca
- Friday: Arrive and BBQ in the village square.
- Saturday Morning: Breakfast at Ca’n Reus, then down to Biniaraix and the six hundred year old olive farm at Ca’n Det to pick olives and throw them into the 16th century press. We then retire for a typical Mallorquin workers’ lunch and collect our litre bottle of freshly pressed olive oil.
- Saturday Afternoon: After a siesta and change of clothes, we go to Palma (transport provided) and to the cooking school of the island’s Michelin star chef, Marc Fosh, where we learn how to maximise the use of virgin olive oil in our cooking. We eat what he cooks!
- Saturday Evening: At leisure to stay in Palma or transport provided back to Fornalutx.
- Sunday: Village Animal Festival The priest blesses all the local animals (bring a stuffed one, if you can't accommodate a live one on the plane!), horses gallop and grandfathers drive ponies and traps filled with laughing grandchidren through the cobbled streets - a heartwarming, family and village tradition much loved by locals and visitors alike.
- one and half hour walk downhill through some of the most ancient and spectacular olive trees on the island to lunch with Maria and Guillermo at their 17th century farmhouse, Balitx d’Avall. Sunday lunch will include roast lamb and Mallorquin specialties such as suckling pig and rabbit with onion. After lunch, relax with a coffee or explore their 13th century tower, the chapel and ancient olive press before walking back to Fornalutx. (Transport provided for those who would rather not.)
- Sunday Evening: A tapas supper at Ca’n Reus
*25 euros extra per night for a room with mountain view. Additional nights: 100 euros per double room (25 euros extrafor room with mountain view); 60 per single.